Changing the world one book, one job, one child at a time.
Founded in the fall of 2018. It Pays to Read is a reading and employment program for at-risk youth. We focus on teaching a love of reading, the importance of literacy, behavioral health goals, independent living skills, financial literacy and the power of mentoring.
- 12 books read over 7 months
- 14 children earned a combined $1950 in the fall of 2018
- 16 children earned a combined $2070 in the spring of 2019
Does your child qualify:
- Must be between 12-18 years old
- Available to attend on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4pm to 7pm
- Possess a desire to better themselves
- Has an interest in what reading and mentoring can do for them.
- Has transportation – This is a job and a choice. We are located on a major bus line and will assist with figuring out routes to travel by TARC if necessary.
It pays to read is a non-profit reading and employment program for at-risk youth. All donations help keep this program thriving in the community. Thank you for considering a donation to the Louisville Book Festival.
We are always looking for organizations to host/sponsor a workshop and/or community based activity to allow our youth to gain exposure to different organizations, careers, and community offerings.